Sunday 28 September 2014

Thought Piece 2- Emma


I believe that from what I have read Fitzgerald has accomplished his goal. Everything I have read has a reason for being in the novel. The chapters that I have read gives just enough away to make me want to read more. The detail that Fitzgerald put into the scenes and the people gives the reader clear visual imagery of both the beautiful, like Daisy’s home in chapter 1, and the complete contrast of valley of the ashes in chapter 2. Each chapter seems to tell a short story in itself which makes the novel even more extraordinary and shows the novel to be intricately patterned. Even though the novel is very detailed the story line at the moment is very simple, Fitzgerald makes the novel beautiful by the words that he uses to describe.
I believe that he wrote something new and still today is very unique.

The characters are in my opinion unpleasant, from just the three chapter we have met two different social classes, the upper classes (daisy, Jordan and Tom) all seem unhuman, for example Daisy asks ‘What do people plan?’ as though she is not a person. This seems very unpleasant because these people want to isolate themselves from humanity which shows them to be very hostile. The other class that we see is the Wilsons, Catherine etc. from what I have read these characters think they are better than they actually are, for example Catherine thinks she is beautiful because someone who should know told her once, from this I think she is very full of herself which would make her a unpleasant person to have in their company. Even the way Myrtle treats the puppy shows her to be an unpleasant person, as the puppy is more of a fashion object to her than a pet. Although, to argue against this Mr Wilson in my opinion is not a unpleasant character because he seems like all he is trying to do is create a life for himself and his wife, he even seems like a nice person, as he goes and fetches other people chairs without even being asked twice. Also, while I believe the lower class people are very unpleasant people, Daisy, Jordon and Tom could not be seemed as unpleasant because they have been brought up to be people who live in luxury so they may not know any different.  I am unsure about Nick because I don’t find him unpleasant but I don’t know if I like him, I think this is because he is the narrator so we only get to see what he thinks of others and not what others think of him.    

No comments:

Post a Comment