Monday 29 September 2014

Shafia-thoughts piece 2

Based on my reading of the novel so far, I believe that Fitzgerald succeeded in creating a piece of magnificent literature that was, and still is “extraordinary, beautiful, simple and intricately patterned.” The novel has a simple plot but the sheer amount of detail which is it put into the piece of work is what it gives it the exquisite edge over other novels of its kind. Fitzgerald manages to pack symbolism into every sentence, that is, each sentence is carefully crafted to ensure that it is essential to the storyline.


Many readers and critics of Gatsby have found the characters to be too superficial, too unpleasant and have found they are unable to relate to any of them. Although I cannot relate to the glamorous Daisy, nor the eccentric Gatsby, I would not go as far as to say that either of these characters are unpleasant. In fact, I find both to be quite amusing and Daisy is intriguing. Her comment on her wishes for her unborn daughter to be a “beautiful fool” makes me wonder whether she has been the victim of her intelligence. Perhaps she believes her own intelligence to be one of her greatest downfalls and maybe this is why she chooses to present herself as a beautiful, superficial woman. Although Tom is inherently racist and arrogant, I find myself fascinated by him also. Purely because he was born into his social class, he is the most powerful man in the novel and the wealthiest too. I was curious as to whether Fitzgerald would create a great downfall for this cruel and egotistical character.

No comments:

Post a Comment